Click below to download the PDF

FORM 1 Permit to travel to another province, metropolitan area or district for purposes of Relocation ( Direction 3(b))

Should you need to travel to your new place of residence and transport your household furniture and effects – you require a permit as per the attached form 1. You may only travel between 7 May 2020 and 7 June 2020.

You need to complete the permit and it must be issued by the Station Commander of the SAPS.

The once -off movement of persons and transportation of goods

3. (a) A person who needs to travel to his or her new place of residence and
to transport goods, which are limited to household furniture and effects, as
required by the circumstances in paragraph 2 of these Directions, is permitted
to do so between the period 7 May 2020 to 7 June 2020.
(b) A person referred to in subparagraph (a) must
(i) obtain a permit to travel across provincial, metropolitan or district
boundaries from the station commander of a police station or a person
designated by him or her The permit must correspond to Form 1 to these
(ii) indicate the persons who are part of the household who will be required to
move; and (iii) have in his or her possession the relevant lease agreement indicating the
date of expiry of the old lease and the date of commencement of the new
lease, or the transfer documents attesting to the change in place of residence
or change of ownership of property.



What is required of a person wanting to attend a funeral in a different metropolitan district or province?

What happens when a loved one passes away during the lockdown and you reside in another metropolitan or district area or province?

In terms of the regulations that were made by the South African Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (“the Minister”) on 2 April 2020, the Minister amended the regulation dealing with the attendance at funerals during the lockdown.

In terms of the amended regulation, a person is permitted to travel between towns, cities and provinces for purposes of attending a funeral or a cremation only if:  

The person attending the funeral is a spouse or a partner, child (biological, adopted or stepchild), child-in-law, parent (biological, adopted or stepparent), sibling (biological, adopted or stepbrother or sister) or grandparent of the deceased or the person is closely affiliated to the deceased. “closely affiliated” has been defined in the regulations as someone with parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the deceased or who had a significant relationship based on caregiving, psychological or emotional attachment to the deceased;

The attendees at the funeral do not exceed 50 people;

The person intending to travel to the funeral has obtained a permit from the nearest magistrate’s office or police station; and

The travel restrictions placed on commuter transport services and private vehicles by the regulations are adhered to.

Applying for the required permit

When applying for the required permit from the Station Commander of SAPS, the applicant must produce the original or a certified copy of the deceased’s death certificate. If the death certificate is not available, then the applicant must make a sworn affidavit which affidavit must correspond substantially with the form provided for in the regulations.

If successful, the permit will entitle the applicant to attend the funeral provided that the applicant does not:  

remain in the metropolitan or district area, or province for more than 48 hours; and

stay at the place of residence of a relative or friend but must instead stay at a hotel, lodge or guest house for the duration of the 48 hours provided that the permit is presented to the owner or manager of the hotel, lodge or guest house.

A failure by any person to comply with the regulations shall result in such person being guilty of a criminal offence and, if convicted, liable to a fine or imprisonment for a maximum of 6 months or subject to both a fine and imprisonment.

Google Map

Contact Us

Physical Address:

9 Bird Street, Central, Port Elizabeth

Office land line:

+27 (0) 41 582 5150

Mobile: Please contact our offices


Emergency Contacts


Yokhuselo Haven:
041 581 4310 \ 0763127730



SAPS  10111

Family Violence, Child Abuse, Sexual Offence
012 393 2363

CRIME STOP 0860 010 111

Women Abuse 0800 150 150

Childline 0800 055 555

AIDS Helpline 0800 012 322 / 011 725 6710

Rape Crisis at Dora Nginza 041 995 1037

NMU Psychology Clinic 041 504 2330

Disclaimer: The information provided on is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. Your access to and use of this website is subject to additional terms and conditions. is a secure site that respects your privacy.

© 2024 Anthony-Gooden Incorporated. All Rights Reserved. Designed By PE Marketing

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.